Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ogden half marathon

Last Saturday I ran the Ogden half marathon. I didn't sign up origianlly for the race, I didn't know that I wanted to do it until it was past the deadline. So I had been training with some friends who were signed up to do it. I was happy to have something to train for and people to train with without the stress of an upcoming race. So a week before we went on our trip I thought, "why go through all this training and not race?" I asked around to see if there was anyone who couldn't run and my Friend Jen found me a race number. I became Lisa Smith and I ran the half marathon. The course was awesome! It is downhill about mile 3 or 4. After the downhill the course goes through a beautiful park and the last mile was on the downtown streets of Ogden. The weather was perfect and we convinced my friends husband to take us up to the start so that we didn't have to catch the bus so early and wait in the cold. I had a great run, way faster than I had trained. Mostly because we are not used to running only down hill. We live on a hill so anywhere you go, you have to come back up. I hate it, but it is good for me.
I didn't save a thing for the last mile. I was dying, it was all I could do to keep running.

Yeah! I made it in 1 hour 52 minutes and some seconds. I took almost 20 minutes off of the first half marathon that Jeff and I did in Moab a year ago. (We forgot to take our camera so these pictures are courtesy of my cousin Ryan who was there supporting his wife Joanie, Thanks guys. )



8 comments:

Joanie said...

You know you have to try and beat that time on your next one, right? That's why I didn't try to get a good time :) Just kidding. You did awesome. I LOVED that course!

Ryan took a picture of me like your first one, but I was all blurry in it. I like yours, I think it looks like you are going super-fast!

Vicki said...

Wow, that is a great time. Glad you found a number and got to "really" run the race.

Brooke said...

That is such an awesome time you ran! I am very impressed. I am taking it you are an amazing runner. Maybe one of these days I will run a half. We will see:)

rachel said...

Awesome job, Maja! You are an amazing woman!

Leslie and Jaron said...

good job budgie!! that is awesome! I ran my first 5 K in Galveston last week. well sort of. I walked prob 35% of it but still it's a start. We are doing okay. Anne is flying in on Sunday and then I'll go to the hospital on Monday. that will be our hardest day I think. thanks for your thoughts and prayers. we know it will all work out in the end! Leslie

The Eight Family said...

Wow - good job. I want to run the 1/2 here at Thanksgiving Point next year. Thanks for being good inspiration!!

Huffstuff said...

Awesome!

Kelli said...

My good friend ran the Ogden 1/2 marathon last week, too! You beat her, though:). She ran it in 1 hour 59 minutes. Congrats!